You are here: Home1 / Shop2 / Bulbs by Name3 / Freesia Bulbs4 / Freesia (White) – Bulbs (set of 5)
Freesia (White) – Bulbs (set of 5)
Freesia flowers are “zygomorphic” which just means that they grow along one side of the stem, in a single plane. When you look at a flower stalk however, you’ll see that the blooms are facing upwards. How does this work? Freesias stems have the unusual habit of turning at right angles just below the bottom flower. This causes the upper portion of the stem to grow almost parallel with the ground. The flowers bloom along the top side of the stalk, facing upwards. This makes them lovely to look down into in a garden setting and ideal for arrangements.
- Find a location where the soil drains well. If there are still water puddles 5-6 hours after a hard rain, scout out another site. Or amend the soil with the addition of organic material to raise the level 2-3″ to improve the drainage. Peat moss, compost, ground bark or decomposed manure all work well and are widely available. Freesia require planting sites that drain well. These plants do not thrive in soggy soil.
- Site your freesia where they will receive full sun for the strongest stems and best flower production.
- Dig holes and plant the bulbs 2” deep and 3” apart. Position the bulbs with the pointy end facing up.
- After planting, water well to settle the soil around the bulbs. Roots and sprints will form in a few weeks depending on soil and air temperatures.
- When in bloom, feel free to cut freesia flowers for striking bouquets and sweet fragrance. This is the main reason many people choose to grow freesia plants.
Category: Freesia Bulbs
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.
No. 287, 8th Avenue, Seashore Town ,
SH 49, Near Bharat Petrol Bunk,
Panaiyur, Chennai – 600119.
There are no reviews yet.