Tomato Imported UC 82 – Heirloom Vegetable Seeds
Tomatoes are fruits that are considered vegetables by nutritionists. Botanically, a fruit is a ripened flower ovary and contains seeds. Tomatoes, plums, zucchinis, and melons are all edible fruits, but things like maple “helicopters” and floating dandelion puffs are fruits too. For some reason, people got hung up on tomatoes, but the “fruit or vegetable” question could also work for any vegetable with seeds.
Planting And Care
- Water generously for the first few days
- Water well throughout the growing season, about 2 inches per week during the summer
- Keep watering consistent mulch five weeks after transplanting to retain moisture
- To help tomatoes through periods of drought, find some flat rocks and place one next to each plant
- The rocks pull up water from under the ground and keep it from evaporating into the atmosphere.
- Tomatoes confer protection against high cholesterol, strokes, and heart disease
- Tomatoes basically have an anti-ageing affect on our body as they contain antioxidant lycopene which is easily absorbed by our body thereby leaving you with healthy skin and hair
- Since tomatoes are a rich source of antioxidants such as vitamin C and Vitamin A, these vitamins help in preventing DNA damage from free radicals
- The vitamin K and calcium present in tomatoes help in building strong bones